A dentist is a medical professional who provides oral health services that aid in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and conditions of the teeth, gums, and related parts of the mouth. There are several different types of dentists who each specialize in a specific area of dental care, and another type of dentist, like Dr. Orobitg, who has advanced expertise and experience in a variety of dental procedures.
Types of Dental Professionals
Here are some of dentistry’s various specialties:
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons – Dental surgeons who specialize in surgery of the face, mouth, and jaws, oral and maxillofacial surgeons generally remove impacted teeth, perform reconstructive facial surgery, and treat damaged hard and soft tissues of the upper jaw.
- Orthodontists – Trained to straighten crooked teeth and misaligned bites with the use of braces and other equipment, orthodontists are dentists who specialize in the correction of dental irregularities of the teeth and jaws.
- Pediatric Dentists –Dealing with the oral health care of children, pediatric dentists monitor a child’s dental development from their first tooth through their teenage years.
- Periodontist – This field of dentistry is responsible for the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of gum-related diseases as well as dental implants and guided bone regeneration.
- Prosthodontists – Aided by crowns, bridges, and removable prosthetics such as dentures, prosthodontists perform tooth replacements, repairs, and restorations to fix broken or missing teeth and preserve a healthy smile. Prosthodontists can also receive additional training to specialize in the treatment of snoring and sleep disorders, oral cancer reconstruction, temporomandibular joint disorders, and traumatic mouth injuries.
- Endodontists –Qualified to perform root canals, endodontists are concerned with conditions such as the health of dental pulp and treatments such as root canals, for diseases that affect the root of a tooth.
Differing Dental Qualifications
You may have noticed initials following the name of your local dentist. Such designations are awarded to general dentists upon graduation from an accredited dental school. Depending on their schooling and degree, a general dentist may be qualified as:
- DDS – Doctor of Dental Surgery
- DMD – Doctor of Dental Medicine or Doctor of Medicine in Dentistry
While referred to as dentists, general dentists are indeed doctors of dentistry. However, the American Dental Association specifies that dentists awarded the DDS and DMD qualifications receive the same training and education; they are essentially the same degrees.
Your Leesburg DMD
Proudly serving Leesburg residents for over 20 years, Eddie C. Orobitg, DMD is both a general dentist and highly skilled in performing many endodontic procedures including root canals, periodontic procedures including implants, prosthodontic procedures including same-appointment crowns, various types of bridges, and dentures, and some oral surgery. If you need quality dental care in the Leesburg area, schedule your appointment Dr. Orobitg today by calling 352-787-5919.